Founded in 1869, the Notre Dame Law School is the oldest Roman Catholic law school in the nation. Early classes were held in the Main Building. In January 1889, Sorin Hall, pictured above, housed the law department on the first floor. The program gradually expanded and in 1919 the Hoynes College of Law, now Crowley Hall, was opened.

Dean Thomas Konop provides a comprehensive description of the early years (1869–1930) in his article History of the Notre Dame College of Law.

Photo courtesy of Notre Dame Archives, GNDL 06.30, Postcard of Sorin Hall, c1915-1920.

Follow

Submissions from 2009

PDF

Rite of Blessing of a Chapel and Anointing of an Alter, Notre Dame Law School

Submissions from 1969

PDF

Notre Dame Law School--The Present, James J. Barba

PDF

Notre Dame Law School--The Past, Raymond J. Broderick

PDF

Notre Dame with a British Accent, George W. Keeton

PDF

Notre Dame Law School--The Future, William B. Lawless

PDF

A Century of Law at Notre Dame, Rev. Philip S. Moore C.S.C.

Submissions from 1949

PDF

Of Twenty-Fifth Anniversaries, Notre Dame Law Review Editors

PDF

Dean Konop: A Quarter of a Century at Notre Dame, Aaron H. Huguenard

Submissions from 1930

PDF

Dedication of the Law Building, Notre Dame Law Review Editors

PDF

History of the Notre Dame College of Law, Thomas F. Konop

PDF

Law Building, Joseph A. Moran

PDF

The Faculty of the College of Law of the University of Notre Dame, University of Notre Dame

Submissions from 1920

PDF

Notre Dame's Legal Renaissance, Delmar J. Edmundson

Submissions from 1893

PDF

Law Department Notes, University of Notre Dame