William James Hoynes is justly entitled to be considered the father and founder of the College of Law of the University of Notre Dame.
Judge Vurpillat was called to the Law College in 1915 as acting dean by the Rev. John Cavanaugh.
Prior to becoming dean, Thomas F. Konop was elected as a Democrat to the Sixty-second, Sixty-third, and Sixty-fourth Congresses (March 4, 1911-March 3, 1917).
Clarence E. Manion graduated in 1922 from the College of Law and returned in 1925 as a faculty member to rise to the deanship in 1941.
This page is under construction.
Thomas L. Shaffer joined the Notre Dame Law School faculty in 1963 and taught primarily in the area of estate planning. From 1969 to 1971 he served as associate dean, and from 1971 to 1975 as dean.
David T. Link enjoyed the longest tenure among American law school deans upon his retirement.
During Patricia O'Hara's tenure as dean, the $57.6M construction of Eck Hall of Law and renovation of Biolchini Hall were conceived, designed, and funded.
Nell Jessup Newton became Notre Dame Law School’s tenth dean on July 1, 2009.
2009–present: Nell Jessup Newton
1999–2009: Patricia A. O'Hara
1975–1999: David T. Link
1971–1975: Thomas L. Shaffer
1968–1971: William B. Lawless Jr.
1952–1968: Joseph O'Meara
1941–1952: Clarence E. Manion
1923–1941: Thomas F. Konop
1918–1923: Francis J. Vurpillat
1883–1919: William J. Hoynes