John H.A. Whitman, appointed by Dean Thomas Konop in 1925, served as the first law librarian at Notre Dame Law School. In 1946 he left the university to teach and establish the library at the newly formed King's College in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. He retired from teaching in 1958 but continued as the Director of the Evening Session until his death in 1962.
Klein, Beth Gelroth, "A Man of Many Firsts: John H.A. Whitman" (2012). 1925–1942: John H.A. Whitman. 1.
Originally published in the Law Library Newsletter, volume 3, issue 5, January/February 2012.